In May, Nothing had released the Android 14 beta update for the Nothing Phone (1). Now, the London-based brand has made an official announcement that the second phase of the Android 14 developer preview program for the Nothing Phone 1 is currently underway. As part of the program, the company is offering users the option to upgrade their Nothing Phone 1 to Android 14 beta 3.
Nothing Phone 1 made its debut last year in July, coming pre-loaded with Nothing OS 1.0 based on Android 12. In the beginning of this year, the brand had rolled out the Android 13-based Nothing OS 1.5 for the handset. And now, Nothing Phone 1 users have the opportunity to update their devices to Android 14 beta 3. The availability of the beta software for Nothing Phone 1 users has been announced on social media. Let’s delve into the specifics and examine the details more closely.
Unveiling the Latest Features of Nothing Phone 1 Android 14 Beta 3
Nothing Phone 1 users are in for a treat as the much-anticipated Android 14 beta update has arrived, bringing along some exciting new additions. Among the notable features are two new pre-installed apps, namely the Nothing Weather app and Recorder. Additionally, users can now take advantage of the newly introduced Nothing widgets, adding further customization options to their devices.
To get your hands on the Android 14 Beta 3 update, follow these simple steps:
- Check for NothingOS Updates: Before proceeding with the update, ensure that your Nothing Phone 1 is running the latest NothingOS version. To accomplish this, go to Settings > System > System update.
- Download the Android 14 Beta 3 Update Package: Once your device is up to date, download the Android 14 Beta 3 update package.
- Prepare for Installation: Head over to the File Manager app and create a new folder named “ota” in your device’s internal storage directory. Copy the downloaded Android 14 Beta 3 update package into this newly created “ota” folder.
- Initiate the Update: Now, access the Phone app and dial the following code: ##682## This action will open the local update tool. Select the downloaded Android 14 Beta 3 firmware from the drop-down list. In case the file doesn’t appear under the “ota” folder, click on the “Reload” button. Alternatively, you can use the “browse” button to locate and select the Android 14 Beta 3 update package. Click the “Directly apply OTA from selection” option to start the update process.
- Reboot Your Device: Once the update process is complete, reboot your Nothing Phone (1) to apply the changes.
As with any software update, there are a few things to keep in mind when upgrading to Android 14 Beta 3:
- Fingerprint Registration: Unfortunately, Nothing Phone 1 users will not be able to register fingerprints after updating to Android 14 Beta 3.
- Limited Features: Some features such as face unlock, Glyph, and battery sharing will not be available on the Android 14 Beta 3 firmware.
- Camera App Limitations: Users will not have access to portrait mode and slow-motion features in the camera app after the update.
- Missing Pre-installed Apps: The Android 14 Beta 3 build will not include the Nothing Weather and Nothing X apps as pre-installed options.
It’s worth noting that Nothing had previously announced plans to release the NothingOS 2.0 update for the Nothing Phone 1 by the end of August, which has been reaffirmed in their latest social media post.
Exciting times are ahead for Nothing Phone 1 users as they delve into the enhanced functionalities and applications brought about by the Android 14 beta update. Remember to keep an eye out for future updates and enjoy exploring the new features!